Did you know that children should visit the dentist every six months just like their parents? It’s true!
Preventive dentistry is just as important for children as it is for adults because:
- It allows your children’s dentist to detect any concerns as early as possible
- It helps your child build rapport with their dental provider and feel comfortable in the dental chair
- It allows your children’s dentist to monitor your son or daughter early on for developmental concerns
At What Age Should My Child Have Their First Dental Appointment?
At Legacy Dental Care, our dentists like to begin seeing children around their first birthday. We’ll spend time at that first visit counting their teeth, helping them feel comfortable around our team members, and introducing them to the dental chair.
During their first few visits, our primary goal is to begin building a friendly and positive relationship with them and monitoring their dental health and development.
How Can Parents Prepare Their Children for The First Dental Visit?
You can do many things at home to get your son or daughter ready to visit their children’s dentist in Calgary for the first time.
- Read stories about the dentist to them
- Begin brushing their teeth as soon as they arrive with a soft infant toothbrush and toothpaste that’s safe to swallow
- Talk about the dentist in a positive way with them
- Bring them along to your own dental appointments
The best thing parents can do is be a good example. Let your little one observe while you brush and floss your own teeth so they can begin to learn how important the routine is.
Even if you’ve had anxiety about the dentist in the past, try to keep your talk about visiting the dentist as upbeat as possible. Helping your little one build good oral habits and achieve a healthy smile is one of the best gifts you can give them.
Are you looking for a children’s dentist in South Calgary you can trust? We invite you to contact Legacy Dental Care to learn more about how we can take care of your son or daughter’s beautiful smile.